Monday, January 02, 2006

New Year's Chocolate Dream

I know a lot of blogs concentrate on food and just thought I'd add one of the big favorites around here. This is Chocolate Dream.

A good friend, with whom I have sadly lost touch, gave me this recipe a number of years ago but we still make it from time to time and I always think of her. Isn't it funny how foods and smells can bring back wonderful memories?

This is something like I imagine a trifle to be with layers of cake, pudding and candy.... This picture shows it fresh out of the refrigerator and so the top of the dish has fogged up a bit making it difficult to see the yummy bits on the top.

It is really very simple to make, especially since we use mixes for it. You will need 1 Chocolate fudge cake mix, 2 boxes chocolate pudding mix, 2 containers of Cool Whip and 9 Skor bars. First bake the cake in a 9 x 13" pan. Next, prepare the pudding. Whack all the Skor bars to shatter them as much as possible. (I will often put the pieces in a sandwich bag and give it a few whacks with a meat tenderizer to finish the job.)

When the cake is cooled, cut it into squares and crumble 1/3 into the bottom of the trifle container. Next, a layer of 1/3 of the pudding. Then a layer of 1/3 of the Cool Whip followed by 1/3 of the Skor bars crumbles. I actually like to kind of push down a bit at the end of each cake layer. Continue in this manner for two more layers, ending with the Skor bar crumbles which make a lovely finish.

Refrigerate at least overnight before eating so that the cake has some time to absorb and all the flavors get a chance to blend. This is a large container and should feed a crowd (or one serving to three adults and the rest to three teenagers as we found on New Years' Eve this year!)

Our son is a picky eater (although deserts have never been a problem for him) and while he didn't choose to partake in most of our feast, he requests this dish every year as his own special treat for the New Year.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I had to rush right home and get a look at this yummy dessert!!

LOL I just drooled all over the keyboard....you'd think I'd had enough to eat tonight but.....