Saturday, June 17, 2006

Babies & bear fat

Aren't these little guys adorable? They're the latest additions to "Bob's Menagerie". I wish he had put his hand in with them so you could see how tiny they are. Fluffed out, they aren't quite as big as ping pong balls!

They are partridges - chukkers. We raised them before and a few of them hung around for months. They found a place to roost inside one of the bays of our shop. We left the doors open and they would come in to get out of the wind. They would line up on a rafter and it was a bit disconcerting to be standing there talking to a Christmas tree customer and happen to look up and see a line up of chukkers looking back. I'm sure it was even mor startling for the customer!

And then there's this stuff. This is bear fat. A customer was here for trees and one thing led to another. The next thing I knew he came back with these jars of bear fat for me to use to make soap.

I know how to do it. I have no doubt it will turn out well. I just can't decide how to scent it. Something woodsy? Yeah, that's probably a good idea. What should I add? Coconut for bubbles, for sure. Nothing will be necessary to harden it up. Maybe some honey!

And one last thing. Have you seen the new Ford commercial with Taylor Hicks - our new American Idol? I like the guy. I like the commercial, but, jeesh! They must play that commercial a million times a day!

No comments: