Thursday, January 03, 2008

Ambivalence

Lots of conflicting feelings right now.

Our son is leaving today on his great adventure to an unknown new life across the country.

Here he is many years ago with his first "vehicle". Now, he'll take a very different vehicle and truly set off to see the world! It is very sad and yet very right.

I remember the little guy that said, "Mommy, I want to stay with you forever" and would wrap his little arms around me and hug as tight as he could. I think part of him is still feeling that way, but his eagerness to find his own way is heartening as well in that perhaps we managed to give him both his roots AND his wings.

I think this was the theme of a post shortly after he left for RIT.

I suspect he'll wind up back here one of these days, but for now, Godspeed! I'll try to control the rising panic and the lump in my throat and just wish him the very best.

2 comments:

Tina Sams said...

oh sure. Go ahead. Make me cry too.

Zonnestraaltje said...

I think it was when I put Samantha on the bus that you offered me your wisdom about baby birds leaving the nest. I have no wisdom, just hugs and a great big, "He'll do great things out there in the world!"

**hugs**

Guess what, I'm making beads today!!!
Love you and miss you and happy new year!! (love your latest bead pictures by the way!)